Monday, December 3, 2007

Part of Working Life Puzzle

I was in a middle of phone conversation with my counterpart in Japan, who happened to be a Japanese (surprise..surprise).

C: So Kimura-san*, can you find out the reason for the shipment delay of our unit?
K: Of course, Cindy-san. Just provide me the serial number of the unit.
C: It's TOHV005
K: So, it's T-O-H-D-005?
C: No, it's,...T for Tokyo, O for Osaka, H for Hokkaido, V for Victory, zero zero five.
K: Aahh..Sorry, Cindy-san, is it D for Dog? Dog, the animal?
C: No, Kimura-san, it's V for Victory, not Dog.
K: Aah..B for Bird?
C: No, it's V for....(fish, fly, finish..yellow,..blue..pink..I can't think of any word that start with V) Victory! You know..peace!
K: Aahh..Sorry, Cindy-san..I don't know that!
C: Oh, it's V for Victory....win..gamble, you know..V for Victoria..the queen? Queen of England?
K: Aahh..Sorry, Cindy-san, I don't know what you are talking about!
(I started to get panic. Calm down, don't panic! It's not that bad, recite the alphabet..ABCD...RSTUV.that's the V, he should get the point)
C:Kimura-san, in the alphabet..it's the RSTUV. That's the V.
K:Aah..Cindy,san..I still don't understand.
C: Do you want me to email the serial number to you?
(This didnt make sense, the reason why I had to call him was because he never replied my email)
C: Hold on, Kimura-san.
(I put the phone on mute. Knocked on my next cubicle neighbour, Colleague 1. Coll. 1 worked in Japan for 3 years. He claimed to be conversant in Japanese. By now, everyone had been intently listening to my phone conversation, since my office did not have voice absorbent facility. Everyone just could hear me, loud and clear).

C: Coll 1, what's the word that start in V in Japanese?
Coll.1: Japanese does not use letter V, Cindy!
(Thanks a lot)

Coll.2: Try..very..very bad..very very stupid!
(Good idea!)

C: Kimura-san, it's V for very..very beautiful!
K: Oh ..yes, I know..V for very very beautiful! It's TOHV005?
C: Yes..yes..yes!!!!!

After that fateful conversation ended, colleague 2 commented, " I can't wait when you have to spell out the serial number with the letter F to them!"

Oh well, just an excerpt of my daily working life!

*name had been changed to protect privacy.

No comments: