Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Busy Bee August (Part 1) : Communication Cram

I don't know how other people can keep up with blogging. For one, I admire the time that they can spend on blogging. Maybe it's poor time management on my part, or just the lame excuse, but honestly, I just do not have time to update this blog. And I live in the lion country, where internet connection is considered superior. I just can't imagine, living in a place, where internet speed is as big a problem as the traffic congestion, and spending my time uploading data to update my blog.
Those people must have had plenty of time and patience on their hands.

When I see those people who can work, get their degree, sell cakes online, be a mother to young children, really it's a two-thumbs up for them. They inspire me, but I just can't find the self-discipline to follow their path in multi-tasking. It's just me and my lackadaisical life, perhaps.  Maybe because I spend most of my free time reading cooking books and watching korean/taiwan/japanese/local singapore drama. But, hey, I need something for relaxation too, right?

Okay, so let's start to count how busy I've been this month. I started out this month with some communication cram. I am not a good communicator when it comes to public speaking. So I thought I can improve on that.  A proactive step on my part to embrace on public speaking skills.

Firstly, I signed up for Toastmaster Club in my company. A decision that I later regretted  since I then found out (after I signed up) that my VP will come to watch how we are doing as well. That's pressurizing. But then, during my observation session, I had my fun watching others delivered their short presentation, although with the level of skills that they have, I wonder why they still need to attend Toastmaster Club. They just made me feel very nervous about my own presentation when I have to do it later. But, oh well, I guess, I just need to find some courage and do it. Besides, TC comes with free lunch, and that's enough motivation for me to sign up for the membership. 

Secondly, I also attended some communication class. Communication in 4 Dimensions, held by SIM. I was not too impressed with the course. It's a 3-day course, and the trainer was busy trying to prove that there were 4 dimensions in communication. Which I have not problem accepting. I mean, she should know something that I do not, that's why she's the trainer, and I am just the lazy participant. I just want to know, how to apply these 4 dimensions to improve the communication. However, this is nice course to do when you want to get away from your daily mundane office routines. I had fun watching clips of movies, refreshing "The Secret" knowledge, learning about short exercise that you can do for 5 minutes a day, as well as meeting new friends during the course. And since the course was held in a hotel, the buffet lunch and tea breaks were above average. But I will not recommend this course to people who really want to improve their communication skills. In fact, I find that TC is better tools to improve communication, particularly in public speaking. 

So, am I a better communicator now? Still plenty of room for me to improve and plenty of opportunities for me that I can use to practice. And until the next TC meeting, I just hope that I will not be the one who has to do the ice breaker!


No comments: